- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot – (finely chopped)
- 1 small stalk of celery – (including finely chopped green leaves)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (finely chopped)
- 800 g tomato (whole tomatoes including juice)
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A good tomato sauce forms the basis of many dishes such as pizza, pasta, chicken and fish. Here is a delicious basic tomato sauce recipe. Marinara sauce.
Here is a basic tomato sauce recipe that starts with onion, carrot, and celery soffritto cooked in a little olive oil, with garlic, tomatoes and spices added.
Simple and very tasty!
Directions of Tomato Sauce Recipe
- Gently cook the onion, carrot, celery and parsley: Heat the olive oil in a large, large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and parsley. Stir to cover.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and well cooked.
- Add the garlic: Open the lid and add the minced garlic. Increase the heat to medium height. Cook for 30 seconds for the garlic.
- Add the tomato, tomato paste, basil, salt, pepper and boil: If you are using canned tomatoes, add the tomatoes with the juice and chop them with your fingers. Add tomato paste and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a low boil, turn down the heat and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- For optional, smooth sauce, puree: You can use it in a food mill or puree with a blender or an immersion blender to get a smooth consistency.
Which Dishes Are Tomato Sauce Good for?
This tomato sauce recipe can match with mushrooms, sausages, olives, wine and all kinds of vegetables. You can also use it for pasta and lasagna.