- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 tablespoons of oil
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 4 glasses of milk (heated)
- 1 onion (half)
- 5 cloves
- 1 bay leaf, (optional)
- grated nutmeg (optional)
- salt, white pepper
Before moving on to the bechamel sauce recipe; This sauce is one of the most basic sauce recipes used in all cooking. It is very simple by nature and, when done right, has a great texture and taste. Whether you use it in a classic Lasagna Ragu Recipe or for breakfast or other meals, you will really love this sauce recipe.
What is Bechamel Sauce?
We can actually call it a roux, it is a plain white binding sauce made up of several ingredients as easily as butter, flour and milk. It is one of the 5 basic sauces in French cuisine. You can use this basic sauce by turning it into derivative sauces Mornay, Nantua and Soubise.
Beşamel Sauce Recipe Ingredients
We can call it the basic sauce of most French dishes. After learning this basic French sauce, which has different uses from onion soup to apple tarta, it will find use in different ways in the food you want or in dessert recipes.
How to Make Bechamel Sauce Recipe?
- Start by boiling the milk in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat.
- Cut the onion in half and stick all the cloves on the onion into the milk, then add the bay leaf and heat the milk until it reaches the boiling point.
- After the milk boils, reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes on low heat (simmer).
- To prepare the roux, add the butter in a separate pot, add the flour when it melts and mix it continuously with a whisk for 2-3 minutes until it becomes color.
- At this stage, “roux” in French. called (pronounced as Roo). There are 3 types of roux, white – yellow – brown. As Roux changes from white to brown, its binding decreases, but its aroma increases.
- To get a yellow Roux, stir constantly until the flour smells off and you get a silky texture.
- Then add a scoop of hot milk to the licorice each time and mix quickly without clumping.
- When you have the desired density and consistency, turn off the stove and let it rest. When you take your bechamel sauce from the stove, it will become a little darker when your sauce continues to be cooked, so it is slightly liquid and fluid but in the consistency of sauce (you can test this test behind a spoon)
Is Alfredo Sauce the Same as the Sauce in This Béchamel Sauce Recipe?
A classic alfredo sauce is actually made with butter and parmesan, but many people think this reduces its thick cream until it reaches a thick consistency. So after all, no bechamel sauce is the same as alfredo.