- 450 gr ground beef (one shot brisket medium fat) or 1/3 lamb meat mixture
- 3-4 shallots (finely chopped)
- 4-5 sprigs of parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of masala mixture (7 spice mix)
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter (up to 15 g)
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of flour (to cover the meatball balls)
- 400 gr fresh or frozen cherries (seedless)
- 1/2 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of pomegranate syrup (100% pomegranate molasses)
- quarter-cut pita bread (triangle, baked)
- 1 tablespoon / 15 grams unsalted butter, (melted)
- 4-5 sprigs of parsley (chopped)
- 50 grams of pine nuts (sorted)
Before You Begin
Indispensable for the Lebanese meal originating from its homeland is the masala spice mixture of Indian origin. You can also prepare this mixture according to your own taste at home. You can use mixtures such as powdered cumin, pestle cloves, coriander seeds, nutmeg, powdered ginger, cinnamon, fennel seeds, and cayenne pepper.
- Extract the seeds from the cherries, separate a handful for presentation,
- Add cherries, lemon juice and sugar in a pot and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- When the cherry juice is released, pull it from the hand mixer or blender until it is smooth, add a pinch of salt.
- Add 1 spoonful of pomegranate molasses to give color, texture and aroma.
- To prepare the meatballs, add the minced meat, chopped onion, parsley and spices in a deep bowl and knead.
- Add flour to a large plate or tray and sprinkle with your hands,
- Leave the meatballs you have formed into balls on the plate, shake the plate lightly and cover the meatballs with flour.
- In this way, rest the meatballs in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Add olive oil and spices on top of the triangular cut pitas and make them crispy for 4-5 minutes in the oven,
- Add a little oil to a large large pan and saute the meatballs for 3-4 minutes so that they are cooked like a pomegranate.
- Add more than half of the cherry mixture on the cooked meatballs, add the remaining cherries as a whole.
- Cover the lid and cook on low heat for 8-9 minutes.
- Add the pitas under the plate and add the meatballs and cherry sauce on top,
- Serve with sautéed peanuts and fresh parsley.
- Enjoy your meal, Bon Apetité