- 3 cups vegetable oil for shallow frying
- 2 blocks helloumi, cut into fat chips
- 1 tbsp za'atar spice mixture
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses (optional)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (100g) (optional)
- a handful fresh mint, chopped
Spice Mixture (Za'atar)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, roasted
- 1 tbsp ground sumac
- 1/2 tbsp kosher or sea salt
Beetroot Dip Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup beetroot, cooked (400 gr)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- fresh mint to serve, chopped
Add all the ingredients of beetroot dip in a food proccessor and make a lumpy beetroot consistency. Rinse the Halloumi with water, and then dry with a towel, cut the Halloumi into fat potato cips slices. Add flour and 1 tablespoon of za'atar spice mixture into a bowl and blend it well.
For shallow fry add oil in a large pan. Tak the Halloumi sticks first dip into floury spice mixture and shake too much flour, fry them until to get golden brown.
Take the fried Halloumi ia a serving tray, sprinkle fresh mint, pomegranate syrup and pomegranate seeds (as needed). Serve them hot with the cold beetroot dip sauce for a contrast.