- egg – 4 egg yolks
- sugar – 1/4 cup granulated
- heavy cream – 1 1/2 cups, (divided)
- chocolate – 1/2 cups 250g, semi-sweet and chopped
- vanilla extract – 2 teaspoons
- chocolate – shaved for garnish
- cream – whipped for garnish
Typically, Chocolate Mousse is made with whipped egg whites, but does NOT COOK egg whites. The risk of contamination is very low, so if you or your dinner guests are pregnant or immunocompromised, these excellent mousse recipes, not to mention it’s incredibly delicious! Whipped cream is used more in these recipes to have the same light, fluffy, smooth texture.
This recipe is so easy that you only need 5 simple ingredients: egg yolk, sugar, heavy cream, chocolate and vanilla. Here are our materials
Chocolate Mousse Recipe Preparation
- Whisk the egg yolks with a whisk in a stand mixer bowl for 3 minutes until dark. Add sugar slowly while whisking.
- In a small pan, heat 1 cup of cream until hot. With the mixer on, pour 1/2 of the hot cream into the eggs. Once combined, pour the mixture into the pan with the remaining 1/2 cup of cream. Turn down the heat and cook until it thickens, stirring continuously (5 minutes).
- Mix the vanilla and add the chocolate in 3 batches, stir over low heat until it melts and becomes smooth.
- Mix the mixture into a large bowl. pour, cover and refrigerate for 1.5-2 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes. When it’s no longer warm, take it out of the refrigerator and whisk the remaining 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream to the rough peaks. Fold the cream in the chilled chocolate mixture.
- Squeeze or spoon the mouse into small glasses. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with fresh whipped cream and shaved chocolate